Who we are
We are Owensville United Methodist Church. We are a community of believers under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We look to scripture, tradition, reason and personal experience as our guidelines for life, with the scriptures as the final word in all matters.
Membership is available to those who profess faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Member Orientation classes are held as needed throughout the year.
PASTOR David tennant
church office: (513) 732-2208
Pastor David Tennant was born in Tecumseh, Michigan and raised on a small, family farm in Deerfield, Michigan. His wife, Jemma, was born in Mariemont and raised in Milford, Ohio. They have been married 21 years and have two daughters and 5 grandchildren. David became a licensed, local pastor in 2010. They are active in the Walk to Emmaus and Chrysalis. They were commissioned as Stephen Ministers in 2004 and Stephen Leaders in 2010. They have served in youth and children's ministry for more than 25 years. Jemma works as a Client Care Specialist with Retirement Corporation of America in Blue Ash. Their hobbies include anything outdoors: hiking, camping, "yaking" (kayak), cycling, travel, golf, and campfires.
The first Boston (later Owensville) Methodist Church was organized about 1811 at the home of John Ferree, one mile west of Boston. This farm is on the south of US 50, across from the I.O.O.F. (Stonelick Township) cemetery.
The first class leader was James Pattison. Sammuel Hill, Richard March, and Benjamin South were also pioneer class-leaders. Preaching was from one to three times a month, according to circumstances, but more often than not just once a month at the John Ferree home. In 1825 the house James Pattison (now where Pattison Park is located) became the preaching place for the society, which at that time numbered over 50. In 1875, Boston Maple Grove and Shumard's were taken from the Batavia Circuit, to which they belonged many years, and organized into the Boston Circuit. The Boston Charge belonged to the Cincinnati Conference and the Ripley District.
The society had two church buildings prior to 1880. The first one was of brick, situated on the road leading from Boston to Batavia (State Route 132) and at the junction of Jackson Pike and the Batavia Road. The building stood in front of the cemetery which is now maintained by Stonelick Township trustees. It was built in 1831 and was 30 by 50 feet, one story high and cost $900.
The original building was torn down and one erected on the south side of Main Street (now occupied by the Village Offices and Police Station) west of the Odd Fellows Hall (now Marathon Service Station) in 1859. It is a brick building, two stories in height, 75 feet in length and 45 feet wide, and cost $8,000. The upper story was completed in 1866 and was divided into an audience room and gallery. It seats 300 comfortably.
The most prominent revival took place in the winter of 1868-69, under the preaching of Rev. R. K. Deem, when over 250 united with the church. The library contained over 200 volumes and the membership of the school was over 200. (The above information was taken from the "History of Clermont County" by Louis Everts, dated 1880.)
For many years Owensville, Newtonsville and Belfast Methodist churches comprised the Owensville Charge. In 1968 Owensville elected to become a one Church Station. It was at the time they decided to relocate. On October 7, 1968 the United Methodist Men's Fellowship purchased 6.8 acres of land from Jerome and Alberta Spahr for the purpose of building a new church. A ground breaking ceremony was held June 28, 1970. Work proceeded rapidly and the first worship service was held in the new building December 20, 1970.
The consecration service was held January 24, 1971 with Bishop F. Gerald Ensley, Bishop of the West Ohio Conference presiding. Additional acreage was purchased in 1971 and the parsonage was built.